Concrete block types, also known as concrete masonry units, are used to form block structures such as walls in the construction sector. They are obtained as a result of mixing certain materials in certain proportions with different strengths according to the needs of the project to be performed.
If structures such as walls are formed using concrete block types, it should be noted that these products are not designed to carry vertical loads.
In this article about concrete wall units, we will give information about the block products that are frequently used in the building industry.
What Are Concrete Block Types?
The materials used in the construction of concrete blocks are generally powder cement, concrete, water, and aggregate consisting of a mixture of sand and gravel ranging in size from 1 to 4 mm. The amount of concrete block types will vary depending on the area to be used. For example, if it is to be used in general construction works, less water and more aggregates should be used.
Concrete block types shapes can be considered in six different groups in terms of their properties:
- Hollow Blocks: They are usually used in the construction industry. Lightweight aggregates are used in the mixture of hollow blocks. One quarter of the hollow blocks consist of cavities. In order to reach the maximum load capacity, the ratio of these gaps should not change. These cavities are filled with mortars obtained from light aggregates.
- Autoclaved Aerated Concrete: This is a type of block mixed with bricks. Although they are larger in size, they are lighter. The use of these blocks reduces the total steel and concrete use in the structure by ten percent to fifteen percent. It outperforms bricks in terms of cost – benefit, labor – time, adaptation and fire resistance.
- Concrete Brick: It is often preferred for building a hard wall. They are made of baked clay or concrete. Cement and aggregate ratio should be less to be robust.
- Solid Concrete Blocks: These are large and dense blocks produced from dense aggregates. They are used in the construction of structures that will carry very heavy loads. Its strength is very high. Also the cost is high.
- Lintel Blocks: It is used in the construction of lintels which should be on the door and window openings in buildings. They act as a permanent formwork system for beam elements. It is widely preferred for its versatile functions.
- Pavement Blocks: They are usually rectangular or square. They are used on pavements and at the intersection of pavement with the road. It is frequently used in car parks, walkways and parks.
Concrete Blok Types And Uses
There are many concrete blocks types and uses for many different purposes, such as starting a construction project, renovating the house or arranging a garden. Each types has important functions in its field of use. They perform well in residential, public projects and industrial applications.
Concrete blocks, which are used to build long-lasting and robust buildings, must go through the right production processes in order to comply with international standards. You can contact us for detailed information about GlobMac’s concrete block making machines produced by engineers who have proven worldwide.