The components of the concrete block refer to all materials used in the making block. Since different types of concrete are used in different building areas, these components may differ. Various kinds of concrete blocks can be used according to the endurance criteria determined by the engineers.
The components of the concrete block are the raw materials used in the construction of the block in certain proportions. Concrete block is only one of the precast concrete products which are widely used in the construction sector. Precast is a term used for ready-to-use concrete products that have been brought to proper consistency before coming to the construction site. Concrete blocks are constructed by placing ready-made products on top of each other and joining them with mortar.
How Does The Components Of The Concrete Block Vary?
The answer to the question of how to make a mortar mix for concrete block depends on the purposes for which product will be used.
When making concrete blocks, generally concrete, powder cement, sand, gravel and water are used for mixture. This results in a block with very high pressure resistance. The weight of a standard block is between 17 kg and 20 kg. In the construction of blocks, less water and gravel as well as more sand is used compared to the concrete mixtures used for general construction works.
If the components of concrete block are coal or slag instead of gravel and sand, a different product is obtained which is called slag block. This type of block is also pressure-resistant and more functional in sound insulation. The weight of these blocks is between 12 kg and 16 kg.
Types of Concrete Block
What are the types of concrete blocks? There are many types of blocks used for different purposes. Some of those are as follows:
- Hollow block: Generally used in the construction industry. There are wide spaces inside. These gaps are filled with mortar materials during the construction process.
- Autoclaved aerated concrete block (AAC): Although many people regard it as brick, it is a very different product from brick. Despite its lightness, it is larger. A different combination is used to reduce cost.
- Concrete bricks: Small rectangular blocks. They can be produced by firing clay or concrete.
- Massive block: They are much denser and bigger blocks. Its production is quite expensive. It is resistant to even the highest pressure levels.
- Post-tensioned Concrete Block: Post-tensioned blocks are used to join different wall units.
What is the hollow block? There are two gaps in the hollow blocks. Thus, it has a light structure. These cavities inside act as air pockets suitable for thermal insulation. It can also be used for sound insulation. The cost is more affordable. It shows strong resistance against natural events and weather conditions. It is the most environmentally friendly block type among other components of concrete block. Because ash is also used in its construction.
Each wall unit is produced and used for different purposes. It is important to get ideas from professionals to use the right product for the right job. All of the different types of concrete blocks mentioned in this paper can be used in a single construction.