Whether it is a residential construction or a commercial construction, the question of “how to build a concrete block wall” is a key point. Today, most structures are made using concrete blocks. The soil on which the building will be installed, the quality of the materials to be used and, of course, the workmanship of the person making the wall cause differences in the construction of these walls.
So, how to build a concrete block wall? Concrete block units are materials used in ground walls, structural supporting parts, exterior walls of buildings and retaining walls. Different processes should be applied depending on what purpose it will be used for. In this article, we will tell you what to consider when building a wall using concrete blocks.
How to Build a Concrete Block Wall? What are The Elements of Concrete Block Wall?
While building concrete block walls, it is possible to mention same building elements on almost every type of wall. The application of these elements may differ depending on the shape, size and usage area of the wall.
- Foundation of Building: Concrete block walls must be placed on a solid concrete ground, for whatever purpose. Depending on size of the wall and weight it will lift, depth and size of foundation can vary. Foundation is generally suitable to extend twice the width of the wall and about one foot down.
- Concrete block: Shape and size of the block should be chosen according to function of the wall.
- Mortar joint: Each block is combined with another block through mortar. This process is important to increase the strength of the concrete.
- Reinforcements: Concrete block walls can crack or be damaged by exposure to external factors. Therefore, they are supported by both vertical and horizontal reinforcements. Vertical reinforcement is placed at certain intervals in the block spaces when the concrete is not dried. Horizontal reinforcement is also placed horizontally after every third or fourth row of blocks.
Concrete Block Wall Construction Details
- Creating a draft: The draft of the foundation of the wall is created using piles and wall wires.
- Digging: Depending on the size of the foundation and external conditions, digging is carried out. The foundation to support the wall is very important for overall strength of the structure.
- Groundbreaking: Concrete is poured into the excavated area. In general, the upper part of the foundation is covered using timber. Before starting the wall construction, it is necessary to make sure that the foundation is completely dry.
- Arranging blocks: Once the foundation has completely hardened, an outline is drawn for the arrangement of the blocks. Considering the borders of this outline, a 2.5 cm mortar is applied. Then the blocks are started to be placed and each block is gently tapped in order to ensure a good fit in the mortar.
- Adding reinforcements: The wall is strengthened with horizontal and vertical metal reinforcements.
Materials Required for Construction of Concrete Block Wall
- Excavation tools (digging, shovel etc.)
- Basic forms, if needed
- Plumb bob
- Concrete blocks or cinder blocks
- Water balance
- Protective gloves
- Concrete mixture
- Wheelbarrow or cement mixer
- Masonry anchor
- Masonry jointer
- Masonry saw
- Masonry chisel
- Masonry hammer